Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What Dreams May Come


When we were all small everyone had a dream. Every kid, reguardless of race, color, creed, or bubblegum flavor has a drem of what he/she wants to be when they grow up. Some want to be a policeman, weather girl on tv, photographer, bailerina, fireman, a bum, whatever that dream may be when you were small, now as an adult have you done what you wanted to do as a kid.

As we go through life, our dreams change. We start college with the goal of becoming what we wanted to be when we are kids, then half way through we change our dream and do something else. Sometimes our dreams are inspired by others, our parents, a celebrity, a good friend. Sometimes our dreams are inspired by tragic events, like the death of loved one or good friends. Sometimest they are even inspired by dreams we have in our sleep.

When I was kid, I wanted to be what a typical little boy always dreamed of, a policeman or fireman. Between my Junior and Senior years in High School, I joined the Army. When I went for my test to see what I "job" I qualified for, I found out I qualified for any job I wanted, except professional ones like Lawyer or Doctor. I ended up with Admistrative Specialist, that would eventually be my downfall. I wasn't thrilled with that, and after I arrived at Fort Jackson (Columbia), South Carolina, I discovered my first medical condition, but that is another story for another time. Anyways, Admistrative Specialist wasn't my dream or even an interest, so I eventually hit a dead end with that.

In my Senior year of High School, I took a Journalism class. I found out that I loved to write. I joined the school newspaper, "The Falcon," and even had one of my stories published in the local newspaper. The story was about "Junior Achievement." I met a wonderful girl from out rival school there (please read previous blog post "My First Kiss" for part that story). I didn't it then, but that person will be a driving force behind another passion I developed, Photography.

After 4 years I moved to North York, PA. It was there I lived one of my dreams, I became a volunteer fireman (see above picture). I lived there for 3 years then moved to Salem, NJ. I lived there and in the next town over for 10 years, for about the first 6 or 7 years, I was a volunteer firman at the fire departments there. I quit when I met my first wife.

By this time I was taking pictures and loving it. Me and my wife never got along, she discouraged me in everything I did. So the light that was shinning on my photography and writing went out.

I wasn't until I ran into my old friend from Junior Achievement that may dreams were just that. My friend encouraged me to start writing again. So I did. Currently I am on Chapter 4 of a book (soon to be novel) called "Redemption" (see Aspiring Writer blog for details). Friday, I will buy a digital camera and start taking pictures again, they will be posted on my FaceBook page for everyone to see. I am also starting a company, "J. Sterling Media." This company will the outlet for all my creative talents, both Writing and Photography. I love taking photos of animals, nature and scenery. I am now looking for a woman to pose for me to try my hand at photographing "real" people.

I would like to to encourage everyone to follow their dreams, no matter where it takes you. always ask God for guidance in your endevours. Take care and KEEP DREAMING........
[Above photo taken at the Liberty Fire Co. #1 in North York, PA. in 1988]

1 comment:

  1. I like the name J. Sterling Media!
    Good luck with your book and your photography. You're very ambitious!

    ReplyDelete